Modern Art refers to the paintings and artworks discovered and done during the period of 1860-1970. Though these artworks are still practiced by living artists (like Abstract art) but originally belongs to the modern era , hence are counted in the category of Modern Art Style only.
Modern art began with the efforts of the artists like Vincent van Gogh, Henri Matisse, Paul Gauguin, Georges Seurat and many other young artists like André Derain , with their demand for more colorful and expressive form of art.
Art movements like Symbolism, Romanticism, Realism and Impressionism became responsible pioneering and further growth of Modern art.Some of the memorable and remarkable works by pioneers of modern art are:
- Country road in Provence by Night by Vincent van Gogh, 1889
- At the Moulin Rouge: Two Women Waltzing by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, 1892
- Spirit of the Dead Watching by Paul Gauguin, 1892
- The Luncheon on the Grass by Édouard Manet, 1863
- The Scream by Edvard Munch, 1893
- Family of Saltimbanques, Pablo Picasso, 1905
- The Large Bathers, Paul Cézanne, 1898–1905 and
- The Models, Georges Seurat, 1888
These modern art paintings were more experimental, experiential & magical in nature.Modern artists preferred more to explore frequently and discover the new forms of art.Various styles like Photo realism, Abstract Art, Futurism,Surrealism and Minimalism have become best known example of Modern Art and favorites of such artists, irrespective of their kind (watercolor,oil or acrylic).
In this blog, we talk about these modern art styles one by one in detail, to know about their origins (how they originated from various modern art movements) and their significance.
Modern Art Paintings Styles 2017 :
- Abstract Art- Abstract Art tops the list of Modern Art Paintings as is most splendid and a simple type of modern art and doesn't refer to any rational subject in its approach.The style emerged in the end of 19th century as a new way to play with colors, describe rational or irrational imagination, expressions and emotions.Abstraction can be said to be the gift of Chinese dynasty and in the 19th century it was developed by three art movements i.e. Romanticism,Expressionism and Impressionism.Today, it has been very famous art world widely and top the list of Modern Art Paintings.Lyrical Abstraction, Color Field, Abstract Expressionism and Cubism are a part of this modern art.
Some of the most famous and top rated Abstract Artists are:
- Wassily Kandisky (Pioneer of Abstract art)
- Robert Delaunay
- Piet Mondarian
- Joseph Albers
- Jackson Pollock (Pioneer of Action Painting)
2.Photo Realism- This Modern Art Paintings is a mix of Abstract Expressionism, Pop Art and Minimalists Art Movements, founded in United States in around 1960s and 70s. As the name suggests, artists clicks a picture from their camera of anything that interests them and then try to paint the exact picture as Photo Realism Art.This one of the most preferred modern art style in 2017 is known to be famous among artists all around the world with technical ability and sharpness to capture each and every edge of the photograph clicked either by them or someone else.
Some of the top rated and most famous photo realists in the world are:
- John Baeder
- Malcolm Morley
- Don Eddy
- Tom Blackwell
- Charles Bell
3. Futurism- As the name itself suggests this Modern Art Paintings , encompasses a profound knowledge and sense of future,it is an example of modern art paintings that majorly involves speed, technology, youth, music, dance and violence.The style is known to originate from Italy in early 20th century by the Italian poet Filipo Tomasso Marinett,in his movement Futurist Manifesto.
First generation of this,one of the Modern Art Paintings was majorly dedicated towards music and dance but by mid 20th century, the second generation came to be known as Aero-paintings. These Aeropaintings explicitly depicts exhilaration of the artists and their desire for humans to fly.
In Russian Futurism , Cubism or Cubo-Futurism gained most prominence due to Aristarkh Lentulov, who after returning from Paris exhibited his paintings in Moscow.
Some of the top and most famous futurists in the world:
- Aritarkh Lentulov
- Umberto Boccioni
- Giacomo Balla
- George Grosz
- Carlo Carrà
4. Surrealism- This Modern Art Paintings is known to be the exaggerated form of reality and is more illogical in its approach than any other art style.The daze of this style proved to be very magnetic for the artists all around the world.Surrealism originated from Dadaism art movement in early 20th century in Zurich,Switzerland.This art movement completely rejected the rationality of the modern society and was a result of a french word 'hobbyhorse'.
Some of the top and most famous Surrealism artists in the world are:
- Salvador Dali
- Yves Tanguy
- Max Ernst
- Roberto Matta
- Dorrothea Tanning
5. Minimalism- It is a very simple form of art , hence , it only focuses upon simple and essential elements.Any type of material, space , object or place forms the inspiration for Minimalism as a Best Preferred Modern Art Style-2017.The art style originated in 1960s in New York,during World War-II.
GET MORE INSIGHTS TO MINIMALISM:
Some of the top and most famous Minimalism artists in the world are:
- Barnett Newman
- Kazimir Malevich
- Piet Mondrian
- Frank Stella
- Mark Rothko
These Modern Art Paintings are not only the taste and result of 20th century modern art history but are now loved and practiced by artists all over the world,due to their strong expressions,inevitable colors and rationality.